Until 1890 the spire of Trinity Church was the tallest structure in New York
The 281 foot Gothic Revival brownstone spire of Trinity Church dominates the landscape of downtown New York City. Established in 1697 by a charter of King William with an annual rent of one peppercorn, Trinity Church is still an active parish of the Diocese of New York with a ministry that aides churches, schools hospital and other institutions. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1776, which consumed nearly 500 buildings and left thousands homeless. The existing building, designed by Richard Upjohn, cofounder of the American Institute for Architects, was constructed in 1846 and placed on the National Historic Landmark Register in 1976. The massive dark stone building with its sculpted bronze doors, Gothic spires and pointed arches is one of the city's finest examples of architecture, second only to Rockefeller Plaza.
Isolated at the foot of Wall Street, Trinity Church is surrounded by a historic graveyard which inters many noted New Yorkers, including Alexander Hamilton and several members of the Continental Congress. A second burial ground on Riverside Drive is maintained by the parish on the former estate of James Audubon and several members of the influential Astor family. The third is connected to St. Paul's Chapel with many pre-Revolutionary graves. Trinity Church is still an active parish holding worship services daily which members of the public are welcome to attend. For those not wishing at attend mass, the vestibule and churchyard are open to visitors daily. Trinity Church offers an extensive calendar of community and youth events, including the acclaimed "Concerts for One" lunchtime concert series.
Cost: Free, Fees may apply activities. Please see websites for details.
Hours: Weekdays 7:00am - 6:00pm.; Saturday 8:00am - 4:00pm; Sunday 7:00am - 4:00pm
Website: Trinity Church at Wall Street
Address: 74 Trinity Place